In the wake of the removal of the Water and Electricity minister, a new chief executive has been appointed to lead the National Water Company (NWC) to deal with complaints from the public about high water bills.
The new man in charge is Abdulrahman bin Mohammad Al-Ibrahim, who has been placed into an acting position, to replace Luay Al-Musallam, according to a report in a local publication on Monday.
The appointment was approved by Abdul Rahman Al-Fadli, acting water and electricity minister. Al-Fadli had on Sunday met with several officials from the ministry and the water company to discuss complaints from the public. Al-Fadli had replaced Abdullah Al-Hussayen.
Media sources said Al-Fadli had discussed several mistakes made by the NWC that he emphasized immediate correction. The sources said the mistakes might lead to more officials being removed from their positions, including directors of the board.
Last week Al-Fadli met with several officials and branch directors. During the meeting, he was briefed on the new billing system and proposals to improve the level of services. He was also briefed on the meter reading and billing system, and the efforts of the company in Riyadh, Jeddah, Makkah and Taif.
Saudis had turned to social media to express their anger after the increase in prices of water, with the Consumer Protection Association and members of the Shoura Council asking for a review of the situation.
Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, second deputy premier and defence minister, said last month that the ministry's implementation of the new water tariff was "unsatisfactory."
"Now, we are working diligently on reforms within the water ministry so that things will be in accordance with the agreed plan," Prince Mohammed said. Water prices climbed as much as 500 percent for Saudi nationals, according to Gulf Research Center, a think tank.
There had also been complaints from the public about incorrect billing, with some laying the blame on leaking pipelines.