Chief Minister Raghubar Das has put the Patratu Thermal Power Station (PTPS) on the fast track. He met officials from the state energy department and NTPC at his residence and the foundation of the project would be laid soon. The discussion comes close on the heels of his meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Delhi on Thursday.
Das said the 2400MW power plant will put the state on top of the energy map of the country. He added, "The state government is committed to reaching electricity to every household in the state by 2019."
Energy secretary Nitin Kulkarni said that in the first phase of the project three power generation units, each with 800 MW capacity, will be set up for a cost of Rs 18,000 crore. The state government share 26% of the project cost while the remaining 74% will be borne by the NTPC.
In 2015 the state government formed a joint venture company with the NTPC - Patratu Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Limited (PVUNL) - for implementation of the mega-power project and improve the performance of the Patratu Thermal Power Station(PTPS). The PUVNL is scheduled to start generating 2400 MW of electricity by 2019 and add another 1600 MW to the power grid by 2024.
Das also spoke on North Karanpura thermal power station in Chatra district. The proposed power station will have three power generation units, each with 660 MW capacity.