Bid & Tender


QatarEnergy Selects Eni as Second Partner for North Field East Project

QatarEnergy said that it has selected Eni as a partner in the North Field East (NFE) expansion project, the single largest project in the history of the LNG industry.


The announcement marks the second partnership in the $28.75 billion NFE mega project, which will expand Qatar’s LNG production capacity from the current 77 million tons per annum (MTPA) to 110 MTPA.


The partnership agreement was signed in a special ceremony at QatarEnergy’s headquarters in Doha by Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi, the Minister of State for Energy Affairs, the President and CEO of QatarEnergy, and Claudio Descalzi, the CEO of Eni, in the presence of senior executives from both companies.


Pursuant to the agreement, QatarEnergy and Eni will become partners in a new joint venture company (JV), in which QatarEnergy will hold a 75% interest while Eni will hold the remaining 25% interest. The JV will in turn own 12.5% of the entire NFE project, whose 4 mega LNG trains have a combined nameplate capacity of 32 MTPA.


Al-Kaabi said: “I would like to welcome Eni as a new member of Qatar’s LNG family. This agreement will strengthen our mutual cooperation for decades to come. It is an important addition to a series of partnerships with Eni, which include upstream exploration projects in a number of locations around the world as QatarEnergy expands its international footprint.”


This is Eni’s first entry ever into the State of Qatar’s upstream sector.


Descalzi said: "We are honoured and delighted for having been selected as partner in the North Field East expansion project. As a newcomer joining this world leading LNG project, we feel the privilege and the responsibility of being a strategic partner of choice for the State of Qatar. This agreement is a significant milestone for Eni and fits our objective to diversify into cleaner and more reliable energy sources in line with our decarbonization strategy. Eni looks forward to working with QatarEnergy on this project to positively contribute to increasing worldwide gas security of supply.”


Related News